Happy Sunday Morning! This is another weekend that went quickly. At least we have the rest of Sunday to enjoy, no? I went out last night for my friend Jenn and Ashley’s birthday, which I’ll show in a post later on, but I wanted to talk about a topic that has been weighing heavily on my mind–even if it really shouldn’t be taking up so much space in my thoughts. The topic? Exercise and eating.
Since I was about 16 years old, I made the conscious decision to be the healthiest person I possibly could. It suited my lifestyle, personality, and who I wanted to become. At the time, I needed to shed a few pounds, and as I’ve told you before, I took things too far. Maybe it’s because so many things are happening in my life right now, but I have recently been thinking about the ‘old me’ when I was insanely driven to look my best and work out as often as possible versus the ‘new me’ who has probably gone through 10 different stages since then and is still working on herself. The new me feels something different about exercise and eating right each day. It’s something I’m passionate about and spend a lot of time thinking about.
But sometimes I think I spend too much time thinking about eating right/exercise and feeling guilty for probably no reason. Sometimes, I forget to just have fun and relax a bit. Since moving to the city, I’ve been trying to catch up on A LOT of sleep I lost for the year that I commuted. I find myself choosing extra sleep over the extra workout. I also find myself eating out a bit more with friends, having the extra drink, and getting my 16 handles on every now and then.
The biggest hurdle for me is to not look back at the ‘old me’ and feel so bad that I can’t be as vigilant. I don’t even know if I want to be as vigilant. I’m in my early 20’s living in the best city in the world, and I don’t think I can afford to count every calorie or record every workout. This isn’t to say I’m going hog-wild–I still kick some butt at the gym and choose grilled tilapia over baked mac and cheese as my meal about 70% of the time, but the other 30% involves going out, being young, and trying to just enjoy myself. For someone who likes to be on top of everything and have ‘all her ducks in a row’, this can be pretty challenging, but so far it’s been nice to just enjoy myself a bit more, whether that be a night out with my girl friends or indulging in some fantastic reality TV.
There’s my little Sunday food for thought. Talk to you all tonight!
Question of the Day: Have you ever gone in and out of phases when it comes to exercise or eating right? How do you adjust or balance to what fits your lifestyle at the time?